Thursday, September 25, 2014

Creamy Chicken Tortilla Soup

Chicken Tortilla Soup 

















This is one of my favorite recipes!! I have combined a few different recipes into one we really REALLY love! I will list exactly how I make along with some optional choices you can add in if you want to! 


1.5lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (2-3 medium sized) 1 (15oz can) diced tomatoes 1 chopped med-large onion 1 (4 oz) can chopped green chili peppers
1 can corn, drained
1 can black beans, undrained 1 tbsp minced garlic 2 (14.5 oz cans) chicken broth (can add more if you want it thicker) 1 tsp cumin 2 tsp chili powder 1 tsp sea salt 1/8 tsp black pepper 1 bay leaf
1 tsp dried oregano
1/2 cup half & half 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

OPTIONAL ADD IN'S: Rotel (2 cans of lime & cilantro), 2 cups water (to make it soupier and cut down on saltiness), 1 can red enchilada sauce (10oz),

GARNISHES: cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, corn tortilla strips
Place chicken, tomatoes, onion, green chiles, corn, black beans, garlic, chicken broth, and all spices into crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. At 30 minutes before serving, take chicken out, shred, and stir back in. Add cilantro and half & half. Cook on low for another 30 minutes.
(I like to add in about 5-6 tbsp of corn starch slurry towards the end to thicken the soup)

GARNISHES: cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onions, tortilla strips, avocado

0 comments: